Saturday, January 22, 2011

How to do the Exact Thing That I'm Doing

If you're reading this blog, you're probably thinking "Wow, whoever writes this blog on the fucking internet must be a real genius. But how can I do the exact same thing?" Well dear readers, have no worries. I'm here to tell you.

The first thing you'll need to do is pretend that writing a blog is in some way unique or complicated. Creating lists and how-to's is a great first step. (See, you're off to a great start already). The other thing to remember is that tricking people into paying money for things that you've already said is important. Try creating an e-book as well as a subscription-blog, and charge for bullshit advice. Then, in each of those, recommend one of the others. This is different from a pyramid scheme/internet spam circle. How? Because we say it is. (If you're wondering what an e-book is, btw, it's like a real book, except it hasn't been printed by an actual publisher).

Finally, the most important thing you can do is to stand on someone else's shoulders, or if you're lucky, you can find someone who's so vain and simple that writing a blog making fun of them will be a piece of cake.

Don't forget to check in with me on FourSquare, buy my book "How to write a book about writing how-to books", and read my twitter. (@blandman I kno!)

No comments:

Post a Comment